Saturday 23 May 2015

The Personality Hon. (Dr.) G. Nnamdi Okafor.

My name is Dr. Godwin Nnamdi Okafor. I am from Umuzocha village in Awka. I attended St Patrick Primary School before proceeding to Dennis Memorial Grammar School, Onitsha (DMGS) where I finished with a Grade One result (WAEC). I then proceeded to the United States of America where I studied Pharmacy. I earned a Doctor of Pharmacy degree from Florida A&M University in Tallahassee, Florida, USA in 1992 and immediately after sat for and passed the Florida Pharmacist Licensure Exam. I immediately secured employment as a pharmacist at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Florida –one of the most popular and busiest hospitals in the State of Florida. I quickly rose to the position of a Supervisor within just two (2) years. I later, also worked as Senior Pharmacy Manager for Walgreens Pharmacy, and Costco Department Store respectively, all in Miami. After a few good years, I founded and established a very successful independent pharmacy business in South Florida called "We Care Pharmacy and Home Health, Incorporated" which I sold to the CVS Pharmacy Group before relocating to Nigeria in 2010. I served as the President of Anambra State Association (ASA-USA), South Florida Chapter from 2001 to 2008, and was the host President of the ASA-USA National Convention held in Miami, Florida in 2007 with Governor Peter Obi, Dr Chris Ngige, Igwe Achebe of Onitsha, Igwe Mbaukwu, and many others in attendance. Filled with the urge and passion to serve my people and to make a difference, I contested for the 2011 Anambra State House of Assembly election for the Awka South Constituency A but was unsuccessful. In the minds of many, I lost that election because INEC did not list my name as the PDP candidate even though I was lawfully nominated by the PDP's National Working Committee. Instead, some powerful people removed my name and inserted their own candidate. I thank God for making me a successful entrepreneur. I am currently the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Maxpoint International Limited; PassPort Properties and Construction Company Limited all with Head Quarters here in Nigeria. To help empower our youths and keep them off the streets, and away from the life of crime, I initiated and am sponsoring the Annual DR. G. NNAMDI OKAFOR CHAMPIONS CUP-- a soccer championship event for the youths in all the Villages of Awka and Okpuno to participate in with the following guaranteed prizes: First Prize - N500,000 & a Coveted Champion’s Cup Trophy Second Prize - N200,000 Third Prize - N100,000 I have provided Jerseys and Football kits free of charge for all the teams from the villages that registered for the tournament. It is my ardent belief that these tournaments apart from bringing the communities together, and engaging the youths, would proactively help discover new talents from the Awka and Okpuno axis who may make it to the Super Eagles and other major professional football teams around the world. Priceless indeed. Yes We Can, Yes We Will !!! To support our able Governor and to give back to our children, I printed and donated 10,000 customized exercise books with Governor Willie Obiano's picture for distribution to Awka South LGA schools to mark the Governor's 100 days in office. Yes We Can, Yes We Did!!! I have personally helped secure admissions for dozens of our people into Nnamdi Azikiwe University. I have given and helped some of our people to secure employment and contracts. I have given scholarships to our needy students to further their education and helped and still helping a lot of our widows. I was initiated into the prestigious Soldier Ajaghija of Awka Kingdom in 1992 hence the Akajiugo - Awka title. In recognition of my numerous contributions to Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, the Vice Chancellor conferred on me the OMELORA - UNIZIK and named the Dr. Nnamdi Okafor (Omelora) Motor Park after me. On the 6th of September, 2014, His Royal Majesty, Igwe (Engr) Okafor of Okpuno town conferred on me the "DIKE DI ORA NMA" of Okpuno. I humbly submit myself to represent Awka and Okpuno in the Anambra State House of Assembly come 2015. To God be the glory, with the bulk of votes from my people, I was on April 12th 2015 declared winner of Awka South Constituency 1 in Anambra State House of Assembly by the State Resident Electoral Commissioner. Thanks and May God Bless Us All.

No comments:

Post a Comment